Unlock your phone
Some 2degrees handsets are locked to the 2degrees network. To use your phone with a SIM of another NZ or overseas network you must unlock it first.
You’ll need to have the right permission to unlock a phone. To learn more about your permissions call 200.
- It's free to unlock a phone if you bought the phone more than 9 months ago.
- It will cost $30 (incl. GST) to unlock a phone bought within the last 9 months. If you’re a Prepay customer this fee will come from your Top Up credit. If you’re a Pay Monthly or Business customer we'll charge the fee to your next bill.
If you'd like to check the exact date when unlocking your phone will be free, you can text Check followed by your IMEI number to 299.
- You'll need to request an unlocking code by texting Unlock followed by your IMEI number to 299. Your IMEI number is 15 digits long and can be found by entering *#06# into your phone or by looking under your phone battery.
- This request must be made using your 2degrees SIM.
- Take care when entering your unlocking code - if it's entered incorrectly more than 10 times you will no longer be able to use your phone on any network.
- Once you have your unlocking code you will need to follow the relevant instructions for your phone.
For more information, check out our Things You Should Know.
Frequently Asked Questions
- We will only unlock your 2degrees locked phone if you have purchased the phone from an authorised 2degrees retailer, have paid for the phone in full and the phone has not been tampered with in any way to break the locking restrictions applied to the phone.
- Phones reported as lost or stolen will not be unlocked.
- You can only unlock your phone in accordance with the instructions that 2degrees provides you. Unlocking the phone by any other means or entering the unlock code incorrectly more than 10 times may brick the phone and make it unworkable on any network. This type of damage to the phone will not be covered by the phone’s applicable warranty and you will liable for any repair required to be done to the phone.
- If you have tampered with your phone to break the locking restrictions applied to the phone, then we are not liable to you if the unlocking instructions given to you do not work on your phone.
- The fee for unlocking your phone within 9 months from purchase is $30 (incl. GST). After 9 months, you can unlock the phone free, but you will still need to follow 2degrees’ instructions for unlocking.
- If you are a Prepay customer the payment of the unlock fee will be made with the credit available on your Prepay Account. You are responsible for making sure you have enough credit before attempting to unlock your phone. If you are a Pay Monthly customer the unlock fee will be applied to your next Bill.
- 2degrees reserves the right to deny any unlock request which it determines is fraudulent or breaches 2degrees’ unlocking policy. 2degrees can also make changes to this unlocking policy and we will let you know if we do this by posting the new policy on our website.