A little worried about getting home, or just want someone to know where you are? Leave a Safe Text message with us just in case things go wrong.
It’s a way to give you and your loved ones a little peace of mind. We’ll save your Text with the time and date, and if something does happen and the police ask us if we have any information, we will give it to them straight away.
- Send your free text to 7233. How will you remember? 7233 is SAFE on your phone keyboard.
- Let us know where you are and any other helpful information i.e. ‘Catching the train home to Kingsland from Britomart. I expect to get home by 9pm.’ Or ‘Walking the Mercer Bay Loop Walk with Amy, expect to be back by 3pm’.
- We’ll text you back to let you know we got your Safe Text, it's safe with us.
- Safe Text is only a text message, not a picture or video message, so make sure you explain clearly where you are.
- You can send us a Safe Text 24/7 and we’ll confirm we got it.
- Are you the forgetful type? Save yourself the trouble and save SAFE to your contacts.
- If you’re in danger, always call 111 (or the local emergency number if you’re overseas - a quick Google will let you know what it is).
- Safe Text is just a way to let us know where you are in case anything goes wrong, and isn’t an alternative to calling 111 in an emergency.
- If you’re ever worried about getting home, you should always let someone know what your plans are. Where you are going, who you are with, and when you think you’ll be back. That way, someone can let the Police know when you haven’t returned.
We send your text to our SAFE Text database where it will be kept for 12 months. Your text can only be viewed by the Police who might use it as part of their investigation in the unlikely event that you are reported missing.
Yes, no problem! Send a text from your phone with a 2degrees SIM in. Just bear in mind that you’ll be charged the standard roaming rate of sending a text to 7233 from overseas.
It’s also a good idea to let someone know where you’re going if you’re worried ahead of time. Tell the receptionist of the motel what your plans are, or let your family know where you plan to be.
You sure can! Pop a 2degrees SIM in your phone and you’re good to go.
Before you head out, make sure you also let someone know your plans, like the receptionist at the hotel, or a DOC ranger if you’re going on a hike.